Serves 6 to 8
- Olive oil, for greasing the baking dish
- 1 pound dried rotini pasta
- 32 ounces marinara sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 ounces thinly sliced pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F. Lightly coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with olive oil; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 2 minutes less than suggested on package instructions until it's very al dente, as it will keep cooking when baked. Drain well.
- Transfer the pasta to a large bowl. Add 3 cups of the sauce and oregano and stir until combined. Stir in the pepperoni.
- Pour half of the pasta mixture in the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheese. Top with the remaining pasta. Spread the remaining sauce in an even layer over the pasta. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the top is lightly golden and the cheese is bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Image credit: Joe Lingeman