If you love to celebrate April Fools' Day with your kiddos, then we’ve got the perfect collection of April Fools' pranks for you. They are all good-spirited April Fools' fun and harmless pranks for kids, and you will be the coolest mom ever.
Click on the links to view the full tutorial for each of these fun April Fools' jokes. We’ve even included shoppable links for ordering some of the items.
- LEGOS IN ICE. This one is so easy to make at home with this tip. Add almost boiling water to the ice cube trays and toss in a few plastic bugs. The hotter the water, the more clear the ice will be when frozen.
- SLEEPING PRANK. While your child is sleeping, grab a marker and decorate her face. Use washable markers, skin test first, or make sure this isn’t the morning before you’re going somewhere special.
For younger kids (ages 2-4), you can ask them to “pretend to sleep for young preschoolers who want to know what is happening, but the surprise of seeing themselves is still just as hilarious.
Here are some easy and fun things to draw: a mustache, wearing glasses, big red clown nose, ginormous eyebrows, football cheek lines, and my favorite, whiskers.
- FAKE BUG from Katie’s Crochet Goodies & Crafts. This can be used for any age, young or old, and anywhere in between! Search Google for bugs, and print out a silhouette of a two-inch bug. Then, cut it out and tape it to the inside of the lamp shade. It looks like a huge bug is on the opposite side of the lamp shade. It’s a fun shadow trick!
- PRETEND SNOT SLIME from The Soccer Mom Blog. Pick one of your favorite slime recipes or even one a taste-safe edible slime recipes to create a slimy gag!
- CREEPY-CRAWLY LUNCH. Instead of the usual school lunch, include things like chocolate rocks and gummy bugs. They look weird, but they taste delicious.
- FAKE DOG POO from Kids Craft Room. Looks real, but smells just fine! This one is super funny and kids love it.
- FROZEN CEREAL from Kids Activities Blog. This breakfast prank is guaranteed to start the day off with a smile.
- WINDSHIELD WIPER RAINBOW from Helmut Smits. Turn the windshield wipers on for a surprise that will delight all your little passengers.
- BLUE BATHWATER from Kids Activities Blog. Turn on the faucet for a colorful surprise.
- "MOLDY” SANDWICH from Perpetual Kid. Safe to eat, but will definitely make the kiddos do a double take when they find this sandwich in their lunch.
- UPSIDE DOWN HOUSE from Kids Activities Blog. While the kids sleep on the night before April Fools’ Day, turn as many things upside-down around the house as possible. Picture frames, candles, you name it! Just wait for the shrieks of delight when the kids wake up and see the silly surprises.