Chocolate Sweet Potato Gingerbread Cookies
It’s All Good!
Add some nutrition to your Christmas cookie platter with these delicious cookies. The sweet potatoes and whole wheat flour in this recipe contain complex carbohydrates which provide vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber, and are digested slowly, helping to keep blood sugar stable.
- 1 small sweet potato, roasted (about ¾ cup)
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ⅓ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the sweet potato, melted butter, and brown sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer, and mix on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes, or until creamy.
- Add ¼ cup of chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on high for 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until melted.
- Add the melted chocolate chips to the mixing bowl and mix for about one minute, or until combined. Then, add the egg and vanilla and mix on low speed for about one minute, or until combined.
- Add the flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and black pepper to the mixer, and mix on low speed just until just combined.
- Add the last ¼ cup of chocolate chips to the batter and mix until well distributed. The dough should be pretty firm. If it feels too sticky, add flour, one tablespoon at a time, until it feels firm enough to roll out.
- Turn the dough out onto a smooth floured surface or parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about ¼" thick.
- Cut shapes out of the dough using a cookie cutter, and place the cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 8 minutes, or until firm to the touch.